a place where i store my thoughts, experiences and comments on the policy, the fun and joy of visiting detention centres, my relationships with the people i've met, and the moments of beauty that somehow emerge through the darkness of australia's treatment of refugees.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Born-Again Blog...!

Hi everyone,

Well after a significant blog drought I have been persuaded by my good friend and nerd-above-all-nerds tim to maintain this site, post to it regularly, and become irretrievably sucked into nerd land, where tim dwells happily, keeping all kinds of strange sleeping hours.

There is just so much stuff going on inside our detention centres, there is a new article in the paper every couple of days about developments in law and policy, and instead of boring the knickers off my friends all the time (sorry guys), i shall post here and those of you who are actually interested (no breath-holding...!) can read for yourselves.

My background, briefly, is that i'm in my penultimate year of Arts(Hons)/Law (Hons next year hopefully...!) at Monash Uni, where i've managed to keep myself entertained for six years (so far). One day, a friend of mine asked me if i wanted to visit the immigration detention centre at maribyrnong. "Yeah, aah, no thanks" was my reply. Then i sort of thought about it, realised that i was kind of curious, and that maybe i should check it out. Well, that was almost three years ago. For the last two years i have been visiting at least once a week, and it is a very high priority in my life. I look forward to sharing with you through this blog my transition from "myeh, detention centre, whatever" to my current state of total passion about this issue, and the people it affects!

Anyway I must dash for now but will write more very very soon.

Cheers

Jess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Hit Counter Locations of visitors to this page