a place where i store my thoughts, experiences and comments on the policy, the fun and joy of visiting detention centres, my relationships with the people i've met, and the moments of beauty that somehow emerge through the darkness of australia's treatment of refugees.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Mea Culpa

Wow I am having a shocker of a day today! It seems to be the day that a few things I've written have come back to bite me.

So instead of pretending nothing has happened, I am going to correct - right here - two points that I have written about recently which I have since discovered are incorrect.

The first is: The comment published earlier and then sent to the Project Safecom mailing list today regarding medication on Nauru is incorrect.

The second is: Legislation excising the maternity ward at the Adelaide Hospital from the Migration Zone was NOT passed in direct response to the birth of one specific child in 2003. Rather, legislation was passed a number of years ago stripping children of asylum seekers of any birthright they may have by virtue of being born in Australia.

I am really sorry if any of this has been problematic. It is so hard dealing with this area because so much is anecdotal, so much is shrouded in DIMA-enforced secrecy, smoke and mirrors, and of course some is with-held for the protection of confidentiality.

Please excuse my errors.

JT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Hit Counter Locations of visitors to this page